Thursday, November 15, 2012

Girl's Night RA Program

So last night I had a program in my building with some of the ladies (and gentlemen) in my building. My coworker and I hosted this program together and our goal was to have a program promoting body image.

So when we sat down we decided that a "Girl's Night" theme would be best and we wanted to have an activity that had to do with common girl's night activities. So I said I would find a facial to do on Pinterest and in the end I decided that we would do this facial. It was an orange juice/baking soda face mask. All you have to do is combine enough baking soda in orange juice to make a paste and then rub it all over your face! The blogger said that this facial is great at removing blackheads and the acid in the orange juice will tighten your pores and the vitamin C brightens your face. I can agree with all of the above, when doing the face mask (see pictures below) I could feel my blackheads being pulled out of my skin and other people that did the facial with me would agree!

Wearing the orange juice/baking soda facial!


We also wanted to do an activity that would help the girls bond with each other especially if they were not necessarily good friends in the hall. Let's face it, often times if you live on the first floor of the building you don't venture "all the way" to the third floor to hang out with people. This is not always the case, but often it is true. So we had Pick-Me-Up cups at our program as well. The idea behind the Pick-Me-Up cups is that when you are sad you can go to your cup, pull out a slip of paper and read something that your peer said about you that was kind/sweet/funny and it will brighten your mood. So we had the girls get a paper cup and start writing slips of paper about each other, encouraging them to write slips to people outside their group of friends that they came with. This was actually very successful and the girls actually participated and even made a couple cups for their guy friends in the building that only stopped by the program for a short while!

A couple of the notes I found in my Pick-Me-Up cup at the end of the night.


Finally, my favorite part of the program was the Barbie Box that I made! So the idea behind the Barbie Box was to show that the actual "Barbie Body" is not only extremely unhealthy, but impossible. This article was the inspiration I used to make the box. What I found interesting was the facts about how if Barbie was real she would be 6' tall, have a 39" bust, 18" waist, and 33" hips. In short, Barbie would be anorexic. We wanted all of the girls at our program to know that they are beautiful the way they are and that anyone can be Barbie!

This is my box that I made, in my room!

Me in the box!




3 comments:

  1. The Barbie doll box is such a great idea! I did a girls night when I was an RA last year and it was the best thing for my floor. So many girls got to know each other that night. :)

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I must say that the Girl's Night program was a success! I live on a Co-Ed floor with two other male RA's so sometimes hanging out with just the girls is difficult. But I agree that a lot of girls got to know each other that night, I just hung out with a group of girls that met the night of my program and have been more or less inseparable ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,
    I love this idea! How did you make the box?

    ReplyDelete